Benefits of Using Mouthwash
Our professional dental staff and orthodontic equipment combine to offer a wide range of dental services to meet your needs and the needs of your family including veneers, crowns and implants; bonding and porcelain fillings; inlays and onlays; teeth whitening and Invisalign; and endodontic therapy. We also get asked about oral health care and products - like mouthwash – and their benefits, and risks.
When it comes to maintaining good oral health, but is not a replacement for brushing and flossing twice a day, and after meals wherever possible. Mouthwash is usually considered an addition and can be an effective tool in the fight against tooth decay, gingivitis, as well as the promotion of healthy teeth and gums when used appropriately and for the right reasons. Here are just a couple benefits from adding mouthwash to your oral health routine:
- Fresh breath - mouthwash can temporarily reduce bad breath by killing the bacteria in your mouth associated with causing bad breath.
- Plaque build-up – it prevents the buildup of plaque, but it cannot reduce the plaque that already exists on your teeth.
- Removes particles - mouthwash can also be used before brushing to rinse out any loose particles in your mouth making brushing and flossing more effective. Mouthwash is also a good cleansing product for mouth guard too.
- Prevention - regular use of mouthwash before and after you brush and floss can reduce the chances of cavities forming and help keep gum inflammation at bay. Mouthwashes that contain fluoride can prevent cavities and strengthen your enamel.
- Rinsing with a cosmetic mouthwash will loosen bits of food from your teeth, lessen bacteria in your mouth, temporarily reduce bad breath, and leave a refreshing taste in your mouth – nothing more.
- Therapeutic rinses contain additional active ingredients such as essential oils, chlorhexidine, cetylpyridinium chloride and fluoride, which have been proven to reduce plaque or fight cavities. They may have a seal of recognition from the Canadian Dental Association.
If you have oral health questions or to schedule your next appointment contact District Dental at 604-980-7581 today in North Vancouver.